Do you a think an egg, one of the main ingredients in mayonnaise, is meant to sit on the shelf for over a year?
For that reason, the ingredients and the way Mayonnaise is created makes it an unhealthy ‘factory’ food. A food that just isn’t good for your health.
When you look at the label of many mayonnaise bottles in the supermarket, you will find that they are made primarily with vegetable oils. They also contain sugar, preservatives, food acids, vegetable gums and other ingredients that make them shelf-stable for a very long time.
Vegetable oils are highly processed and are high in omega 6 fatty acids. Consequently, this makes them extremely inflammatory. High consumption of omega 6 fatty acids has been linked to an increased risk of all inflammatory diseases, including cancer.
Vegetable oils are polyunsaturated fats. This makes them very unstable when heated, creating oxidization, resulting in trans fats. Unfortunately, most vegetable oils are produced using GMO ingredients. During their production, chemicals are added, which makes these oils stable for longer.
Types of vegetable oils to avoid completely are: vegetable oil, canola oil, soybean oil, safflower oil, margarine, rice bran oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil and peanut oil. Some better alternatives are olive oil, coconut oil, macadamia oil and avocado oil.
A Healthy Alternative
Here is my version of mayonnaise that only includes healthy ingredients.
My oil of choice is olive oil. Olive oil is made from olives picked from trees. It’s predominantly made of a monounsaturated fat, called oleic acid. This is a healthy fat that can help lower cholesterol and control insulin levels within the body. Olive oil is extremely anti-inflammatory, high in polyphenols and high in anti-oxidants. Something that a healthy body thrives on
Give this mayonnaise a try. Once you start, you won’t ever buy the store bought mayo ever again!
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp yellow or seeded mustard (see a picture of the mustard i use below)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Into the food processor or thermomix place in the whisk utensil. Add all ingredients EXCEPT the olive oil.
- Turn the food processor onto medium and begin mixing.
- While the food processor is still mixing, slowly drizzle the oil in through the lid. This will allow the mayonnaise to start to thicken.
- Once all of the oil is added and the mayonnaise is nice and thick, scrape down the sides of the food processor and place the mayonnaise into a jar.
- This will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. Enjoy!