Breakfast is the meal that causes most families to become unstuck in the kitchen. In the hectic morning rush, most people opt for convenience over wholesome nutrition.
However, if you just throw down a piece of toast and a cup of coffee, your body is going to be on a blood sugar/cortisol roller coaster for the remainder of the day. That aint much fun…… and it will leave you craving other carbohydrates and over eating, just to get you through the day.
A good breakfast will set you in good stead physically and emotionally. For kids in particular, it also fuels their brain and enhances their learning.
The secret to a good breakfast is to eat only whole foods. You are better off eating the cardboard packing of some of the commercial supermarket breakfast cereals than the cereals themselves!
The recipe for success is to ensure you get a combination of healthy sources of protein, fat and fibre.
This muesli is perfect. You can prepare it in bulk days in advance and it is simple to serve up when you are in a rush.
Getting into the kitchen and cooking your own food is the best thing you can do for your family’s health and it’s such a privilege too. Happy cooking!!
Nutrient Dense Muesli
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup organic dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup olive oil or melted butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 orange zest grated
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees C.
- In a saucepan, add honey, coconut milk and oil/butter. Heat on low to combine.
- In a large bowl add all ingredients and mix well.
- Spread over a large baking dish.
- Bake in the oven. Remove every 5 minutes to mix the muesli well. Cook until golden brown. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. This is when it will become crispy.
- Store in an airtight jar.