This pumpkin hommus can be used in many ways; my kids enjoy it after school for a snack. I love it as an addition to my salads and it’s a perfect condiment to put on vegetable tacos.
Hommus should be a staple food in your home. Why?
Chickpeas are a pre-biotic rich food. They contain Galactooligosaccharides, a non-digestible fiber that stimulates the growth of beneficial bacteria in the colon. In particular it feeds Bifidobacterium, Faecalibacterium Prausnitzii and many of our Butyrate producing bacteria.
Hommus is also a source of Resistant Starch (classified as RS3).
A Resistant Starch is a starch that moves through your digestive tract unchanged. It is resistant to digestion and reaches your colon where it becomes food for your friendly gut bacteria.
RS3 is formed when starchy foods like root vegetables, whole grains and legumes are cooked and cooled. This process is called retrogradation and in this process it turns digestible starches into resistant starches.
Why not give this hommus recipe a try? Your gut bacteria will love your for it!
How do you enjoy your hommus?
Getting into the kitchen and cooking your own food is the best thing you can do for your family’s health and it’s such a privilege too. Happy cooking!!
- Food processor
- 1/4 small pumpkin peeled, seeded and roasted
- 400g can organic chickpeas
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 small clove of garlic
- Pinch real salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Peel, de-seed and dice pumpkin in to small pieces.
- Place pumpkin into a baking dish and roast for approximately 25 minutes or until it is soft and golden brown.
- Into a food processor add washed/drained chickpeas, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, tahini and salt. Blend until combined. Scrape down the sides.
- Add in the roasted pumpkin and blend again. Scrape down the sides.
- Turn the food processor onto low and blend while slowly drizzling in the olive oil. If it's to thick, add a bit more.
- Serve or freeze in small portions for the future.