Have you ever tried eating lacto-fermented Sauerkraut? Have you even tried making it yourself…
Sauerkraut is a nutrient powerhouse. It’s high in fibre and rich in probiotics, vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants.
If eaten daily sauerkraut can have a profound effect on your digestion and your overall well-being. Here are some reasons why:
- Sauerkraut contains 10-20 times more vitamin C than regular cabbage. Just two spoonfuls of sauerkraut will give you around 30% of your daily vitamin C RDI.
- Sauerkraut contains many vitamins and minerals: vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, potassium, iodine, calcium, magnesium, manganese and sodium, as well as many other trace minerals.
- Through the fermentation process the cabbage is pre-digested and the proteins, carbohydrates and fats are broken down for you, leaving easily assimulated amino acids, fatty acids and simple sugars.
- The bacteria in the sauerkraut produce both vitamin K and B vitamins, making the nutritional content of sauerkraut even greater.
- Sauerkraut contains a particular enzyme called S-Methymethionine which is very useful in the treatment and healing process of gastrointestinal conditions (ulcerative colitis, acid reflux, peptic ulcers).
- Sauerkraut is full of enzymes. So when eaten along side your meal it’s extremely helpful in aiding your digestion by assisting with the breakdown of your food.
- It is full of beneficial bacteria and it also functions as a pre-biotic. This means that it’s a food source for the good bacteria that reside within your large intestine.
- Fermented cabbage juice has been found to induce an anti-microbial effect, preventing food poisoning from food borne pathogens.
- To add to this already comprehensive list, sauerkraut has been found to be immune boosting, helpful with weight loss and can reduce your risk of developing certain cancers. It can also enhance your emotional well-being and is beneficial for both bone strength and heart health.
All of this information clearly shows why Saurkraut should be part of your daily health arsenal. Be brave and give it a try!