With a cold snap on it’s way this week in Victoria and winter fast approaching, it is time to put in some extra supports to keep both ourselves and our families healthy.
When we are nourishing our bodies with all of the correct vitamins and minerals, we build a robust system that is able to ward off and fight infections without trouble.
For our children we need to ensure they are eating a nutritious diet full of colours and a large variety of foods. We want to limit sugar, wheat and processed items as much as possible. Keeping stress to a minimum is also an extremely important component. We also want to nourish the microbiome- as we now know that the microbiome is an important point of defence for the many pathogens that enter our body.
Do you have a picky eater in your family? Do you struggle to get your child to try new things?
Elderberry syrup is something I love and is a secret weapon for any desperate parents. Not only is it an absolute immune booster, but elderberry syrup provides the concentrated immune-supporting benefits of black elderberries while also tasting amazing!
Elderberries contain high amounts of whole food vitamin C. They also contain compounds (flavonoids and anthocyanins) that are extremely immune enhancing. The syrup is wonderful as a preventative medicine tool, or it can be used to help fight off minor colds, flu’s or respiratory infections. Studies reveal that Elderberries are effective in speeding up the recovery time in minor illnesses.
Mother nature is truly amazing!
- 3/4 cup dried organic elderberries
- 4 cups filtered water plus extra if needed
- 2 inch piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup raw honey
- Add all ingredients except the honey to a saucepan.
- Simmer without the lid for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Top up with water if needed, the end product should be 50% of the initial liquid (approximately 2 cups).
- It's important to simmer without a lid as it releases a toxin in the seeds during the boiling process.
- Allow to cool. Then mix through honey.
- Store in the fridge for approximately 3 months.
- As a preventative tonic adults take 1 tbsp a day, children only 1/2 tsp. If illness arises adults can have 4 tbsps, 4 times a day. Children 1 tsp, four times a day.