I am yet to find anyone that doesn’t like chocolate!!
Not only is it delicious, but it’s also packed with nutritional goodness.
It contains powerful compounds that are mood enhancing.
Some of these compounds are:
- Magnesium the mineral that enhances feelings of relaxation
- Anandamide often referred to as the bliss molecule, being responsible for feelings of euphoria and improved mood.
- Salsolinol which stimulates the pleasure neurotransmitter dopamine.
- Polyphenols that can improve your gut microbiota and cognitive function.
- and more…
However, not all chocolate is created equal…..
The chocolate that will enhance your health the greatest is not the one you will find in your store bought hot cocoa or sugar laced dairy milk chocolate.
The chocolate that i am referring to is the dark, raw, low sugar, high % cacao and slightly bitter dark chocolate (or raw cacao powder).
So what is the difference between Cocao and Cocoa?
Both cocao and cocoa come from the cocoa bean that grows on trees in Central and South America. However, the process of obtaining these two powders is very different.
Cocoa powder is obtained via heat processing (roasting and heating at high temperatures) to reduce the bitterness. Even though this form may be more palatable for some, many of the nutrients (eg. magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium) are also destroyed in this process. Generally products made with cocoa also have sugar and dairy added
Whereas raw cacao is produced without the heat processing, which allows it to retain all of it’s super powers, making it a far superior choice.
These delicious Blackbean Chocolate brownies are made from raw cacao powder giving them an extra bang for the your buck. They are certainly for the real chocolate lovers.
The addition of blackbeans as a flour replacement makes them extremely rich in fibre, resistant starch and pre-biotics (galactooligosaccharides) that make them extremely gut microbiome enhancing.
How could you possibly resist?
Getting into the kitchen and cooking your own food is one of the best things you can do for your family’s health and it’s such a privilege too. Happy cooking!!
Blackbean Chocolate Brownies
- Food processor or thermomix
- 1 can organic blackbeans
- 2 organic eggs
- 3 tbsp butter, grass fed at room temperature
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- Pinch real salt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp aluminium free, baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Add and then blend all ingredients in a food processor or thermomix. Blend until smooth and light and fluffy.
- Pour into a lined cake tin. I use a 20cm x 20cm tin. However I don't spread it completely to the edges as I prefer it to be slightly thicker.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, until it's cooked through.