Dairy free, gluten free, sugar free, nut free
This sweet treat is absolutely delicious. But what makes it even better is that it is sugar free, gluten free, dairy free and nut free! This slice is made from all whole food ingredients and when eaten in moderation, it is super healthy for you!
I always keep a batch of this in the freezer and it is usually my go to for my daily chocolate fix.
Why do I love homemade chocolate so much, other than just the taste? The main ingredient, raw cacao (not cocoa) is extremely high in antioxidants. These antioxidants help to protect us from harmful free radicals and toxins within our environment. Cacao is one of the highest plant sources of magnesium, which is essential for many processes within the body and it also contains high levels of manganese and iron. Cacao is a bitter food. Bitter foods are amazing as they help to increase the production of bile, which is crucial for healthy digestion. A huge bonus is that cacao is a natural mood enhancer!!
When I pack this slice into my children’s snack box, I make sure it sits on an ice pack so that it doesn’t melt. This is their favourite snack box treat.
As a real indulgence, I like this slice served with a beautiful turmeric latte and the company of a special friend 😊
Choc Caramel Slice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/8 cup oat bran or gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or grass fed butter
- 10 medjool dates pitted
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter if nuts aren’t an issue you can use almond butter instead
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup optional: it is sweet enough without it
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or changing habits pure cacao melts
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- In a food processor blitz all of base ingredients together
- Spoon and press it down into a lined slice tin
- Pop it into the freezer while you prepare the caramel
- In the food processor blitz all of the caramel ingredients together
- Spread evenly over the frozen base and again pop it into the freezer
- In saucepan, on medium heat, melt all of the chocolate ingredients, stirring continuously
- When it is all combined and melted, spread it over the caramel layer and freeze. Make sure it is sitting flat so the chocolate doesn’t run
- When it is frozen, chop with a sharp knife and serve immediately
- Store the remainder in a glass container in the freezer for another day