Nori is a type of seaweed (algae) that grows in the ocean. It is a nutrient rich food source containing many vitamins, minerals and plant chemicals that are beneficial for both sea life and humans. Nori is a rich source of iodine and it also contains vitamins A, B, C, D, E, K, niacin, folic acid, taurine, chlorophyll and various polyphenols and phytonutrients. It’s an amazing food for the whole family.
Conventional salt has been iodised (iodine added). Even though iodine is essential for our health, eating conventional salt is not a healthy option. Read my article on salt here. Therefore, when we shift to the health-giving, mineral rich sea or rock salt, we also need to ensure that our bodies are getting enough iodine from other sources.
Iodine, among other minerals and nutrients, is needed to support healthy thyroid function. If our thyroid is not functioning optimally we can experience low energy, weight gain and this can further lead to other health conditions.
Our body can’t make iodine, so it’s essential we get adequate amounts from our diet. Nori is an excellent source of iodine. So eating these seaweed chips is a great way to keep your body and thyroid healthy. Another great way to get enough iodine in your diet is to blitz nori sheets up into a powder and to mix this through your sea salt to use in cooking or sprinkled onto your meals.
Beware when you purchase Seaweed chips at the supermarket. Chances are they are covered in unhealthy fats that are best avoided.
These chips are moorish and won’t last long in the pantry. Enjoy!
- 8 Nori sheets
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea or rock salt
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees C.
- Place seaweed sheets onto a lined oven tray.
- In a bowl add the olive oil and salt. Mix to combine.
- With a basting brush, dip it into the olive oil and lightly coat the seaweed sheets.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top.
- Cook in the oven for 7-10 minutes, just until the sesame seeds are brown and the seaweed is crispy to eat.
- Use scissors to chop into rectangles.
- Store in an air-tight jar.