This is a healthy alternative to the jam that many of us grew up eating. It’s unlike the one typically found on the supermarket shelf.
If you take a look at the ingredient list of a jam jar, you will find that sugar is usually listed first. This means that there is MORE sugar in the jam than any other ingredient!!
Processed white sugar is devoid of any macro and micro nutrients. It is predominately made up of sucrose and when consumed leaves the body on a blood sugar roller coaster.
Is sugar bad for you? Yes!
A diet high in refined sugar increases your risk of fatty liver disease, cancer, metabolic disorders, gut issues, behavioral issues, impaired brain function and more…
This jam is so sweet and is a real treat. It is free of refined sugar and preservatives. Instead it is sweetened by the fruit itself and preserved with lemon juice. It is so divine spread on top of our Super Sunday Pancakes. Give it a try.
Getting into the kitchen and cooking your own food is the best thing you can do for our children’s health and it’s such a privilege too. Happy cooking!!
Blueberry Chia Jam
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 medjool date
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Place blueberries, water, lemon juice and date into a saucepan and bring to a boil (approximately 5 minutes).
- When everything is cooked through, turn off and stir chia seeds through. Let it sit for 5 minutes to allow the chia seeds absorb the liquid and expand.
- Pour into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Eat right away or keep in the fridge.